domingo, 7 de mayo de 2017

The culture where I born

This was one of the most difficult articles to write. It is not only my personal opinion. I asked the opinion of different women about the guys of my country, women of different ages.

I don't think you have to act similarly to the other people from where you are born.

Religion is predominant in this society, catholic and Christian. The most important thing for every person here is the family. For everyone it is important what the other family members think about their decisions and when finding a partner, they hope for their approval. This means, if you are interested in a woman, you have to be ready to meet the entire family. The people here are friendly and helpful, when they see a tourist from another country, if they don't understand the language, they will try to help you with signs.

I grew up watching TV, and the local TV is full of soap operas and dramas. The model of life is recreated in repetitive soap operas. Every story starts with the poor girl who finds a rich guy or in some way, she becomes rich. There is always a guy who cheated on her, she suffers and at the end, they get back together. Watching this makes people believe in illusions and we become emotional, we think with the heart, not the head. The series idolizes the worst people from our society. Before you idolize someone, you should first investigate that person. The adults usually watch soap operas with their kids, they also like to watch the news.

Be ready for the drama, people like it here and it is kinda normal. Jealousy and a person believing he or she is your owner. We like to be dramatic and get attention. If someone ignores us, we make our own drama.

Here is normal for guys to cheat on women. They like to boast to their friends as if it is a competition, the king is the one who cheats the most. The women usually forgive the guy but never forget. If it is the woman who cheats on the guy, he will never forgive her. It will be the topic every time the couple argues. What do you expect when the model of life is the television?

The media sell a stereotype of a woman, how she has to look physically and that is why for some of us it becomes the major importance. If you have the chance to see a soap opera from South America, you will see how the women on it look, they are hot. In the soap opera, there is the character of the evil women, the envious one, nobody wants to be that woman. But then they copy the model, the double moral, being envious, making it a competition and criticizing the other women, fighting for a man sometimes.

I grew up in a time between two different generations, the generation before me was respecting their traditions. At that time the husband had to provide what the family needed while the wife had to take care of the home, and sometimes even go to work at the same time. For society at that time, it was not good if the husband abandoned his home. Women supported everything and the most important opinion was from the husband, the leader of the family. My generation started having new ways to communicate with people around the world, learning new information about different cultures. The new generation doesn't understand that we grew up without a computer, some of the stuff we learned was from books, we still have habits from the generation before us and we respect some of their traditions.

It is normal if a woman grows up believing she will find a person who will "rescue her" when she is formed to find a husband and her model of life is the TV. I learned to cook, take care of the home and dance during my childhood. I appreciate I learn that. I know how to cook my own food, I take it like good skills for survival. Some guys from my generation where I live, just expect to find a woman who can support them and take care of them. I am not generalizing about this, there are guys who work hard, but I found a lot of guys who are looking a replacement for their moms.

Not all the people think in the same way, there are a lot of people like me who doesn't follow the traditions.

I did this question to different women: What do you like about Colombian men?

What I noticed from all the women here is they first bring up the negative stuff. They said:
They cheat on us, they don't respect women, they don't like the successful women, they are liars. I then had to ask them the same question again. And then they gave me the positive things: A few of them make us laugh, they are flirtatious, 'the spicy' (the women who said 'the spicy' are women who never had a relationship with a guy from another country).

I did the same question to a guy who works with different cultures inside my country, his answer surprised me:

The guys here are like a chicken breast. That is the piece of chicken nobody is going to pick first, but the women here don't have a better option. They wear the shirt inside their pants, they don't have a topic of conversation, they are boring, basic. The only interesting thing in this country are the women, each one is a world, they have to put the seasoning in that piece of chicken breast.

He said: the only good thing they have is a good skill for dancing.




No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario